(For a full explanation on the process to rent a property see “Renting/The Process” which explains the procedure in great detail).

How do I view a property?

Contact our office via email mildenhall@balmforth.co.uk  or telephone 01638 711171 and we can arrange viewings for you. Alternatively, come down to our office and discuss your rental requirements with a member of our rental team.

For the viewings, we are able to collect you from Base, show you properties and return you to Base afterwards. Together with our USAF spouse employee and our bannered people carrier we have direct access on to the bases which means we can arrange to meet you in a more suitable location. Alternatively, if you have your own vehicle we can meet you at the properties. All viewings are free of charge with no “high pressure selling”.

Our offices are open seven days a week for viewings:

Monday – Friday         9.00am – 6.00pm
Saturday                     9.00am – 4.00pm
Sunday                        10.00am – 1.00pm

How do I reserve a property?

If you have viewed a property and would like to rent it, then we require you to fill out our application form and put down a £300 (approx $490 depending on exchange rate) holding fee. This money is later deducted from the balance owed for the security deposit.

What references are required?

We don’t require any references, although we will ask to take a copy of your military ID.

What security deposit will I require?

The security deposit is equivalent to one months rent. This is due on your lease signing appointment.

How do I pay my rent?

Your initial rent payment is made at the time of signing your lease and will comprise of a security deposit, the firsts months rent and any apportionment amount due. Rent will thereafter always be paid in advance due on the first of each month. A standing order mandate will be set up at lease signing for the automatic release of the monies from your bank account to ours on this date.

Do you carry out an inventory on the property?

Yes, we carry out a thorough and comprehensive inventory of the property prior to your move-in. You will have seven days to make representations on the accuracy of the inventory.

Do I have to pay Council Tax?

No, military personnel are exempt from paying council tax but we do fill out the registration/exception form for you.

How do I set up utilities?

On your lease signing appointment we will go through how to go about setting up utilities. You don’t need to do anything prior to move-in. At the start of the tenancy you will need to register with the supplier by contacting them, giving the property address, your move-in date and the meter reading,  which can be found on the inventory.

It is your responsibility to set up the utilities and to monitor and pay them on time. However, we can assist with this if you get into difficulties.

What insurance do I need?

We strongly advise that you get contents/renters insurance to cover both the loss of and theft of your own possessions, spoilage of freezer food, loss of oil, loss of metered water (limits apply) etc. We can arrange our recommended insurer to contact you to give a quotation and arrange cover. Although the Landlord should have buildings insurance cover in place it will not cover your possessions.

Do you carry out inspections of the property?

If we are the managing agents for the property an inspection will be carried out approximately every three to four months. We will contact you in writing four to five days ahead of the inspection to give you plenty of notice. If we do not manage the property your landlord will arrange inspections.

Who is responsible for repairs and maintenance of the property?

If we are the managing agents for the property you will contact us regarding any repairs. We will then arrange, with the landlords consent, for a competent contractor to attend. If we do not manage the property it is the landlord’s responsibility to attend to any repairs or maintenance issues.

©2011 Balmforth Estate Agents. All Rights Reserved
Designed by KB IT Services